Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Magelang Gemilang


I just got back from Magelang, Central Java today. Magelang is famous for the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Borobudur, known to be the largest Buddhist monument in the world and perhaps the most photographed tourist attraction in the whole of Java.

The weather was not too kind while I was there over the weekend. Most of the time, it was cloudy and hazy. The sun was nowhere in sight (it magically appeared today just when I was leaving!). So a visit to Borobudur at dawn on Sunday was a big letdown. “What? I woke up at 4am to see clouds?” My guide told me to try again the next day. But going by my gut feeling, I decided to give it a miss. And thank goodness I did – it was even cloudier on Monday!

As I did not manage to get good shots of Borobudur, I went to the villages instead to shoot pictures of the local folks and kids at work and play. I must say I’m very pleased with the results. Here are some portraits from my new collection titled Magelang Gemilang (Glorious Magelang).

No comments: