Sunday, April 18, 2010

I Love Shanghai Part 1








This was my second visit to Shanghai. My first was in 2005. It’s only been five years, but I was amazed how the metropolis has transformed or rather outdone itself! While the futuristic skyscrapers are impressive, I was more awe-struck by the historic architecture of the Bund and French Concession which gives Shanghai an old-world European vibe.

The French Concession with its Tudor mansions and Art Deco apartments, is undoubtedly my most favorite district in Shanghai. Pedestrian-friendly and aesthetically pleasing, I enjoyed taking leisurely walks along the tree-lined avenues. Early evenings and mornings are the best time to explore its nooks and crannies. On Julu Lu, Fumin Lu and Changle Lu, you’ll find Shanghai’s hippest restaurants (they’re always full so reservation is a must) and specialty shops. The townhouses on Julu Xilu are especially lovely… how I wish could live in one of them!

Nicknamed the Pearl of the Orient and Paris of the East, Shanghai is a city of contrasts where east meets west and old versus new (the Bund literally faces off with ultra-modern Pudong) which I’ve tried to depict in my photos. In my book, Shanghai is one of the most exciting cities in the world and you can’t help but fall in love with it!

No comments: