Thursday, September 11, 2008

Sew Good




Sometimes, things do not go according to plan (and most times, they turn out to be better). Just like my visit to the School of Souvenir Production and Training Centre in Punakha, Bhutan.

My guide and friend, Anan of Keys to Bhutan, happened to chance upon the centre one afternoon while I was relaxing in my hotel. The next day before we set off on our three hour drive to Phobjikha valley, Anan asked me if I mind dropping by somewhere first. I’m always game for new experiences, so I said, “Sure, why not?”

That “somewhere” is the School of Souvenir Production, supported by the Youth Development Fund (YDF), an initiative of The Bhutan Foundation. The centre provides an opportunity for teenage girls who are unable to complete school or qualify for advanced studies, to develop art and craft skills, and equip them with business know-how so that they can run their own businesses someday. There is a gallery where you can view their work and buy souvenirs. The artisanship is really good. I bought several bookmarks, a CD and tote bag.

Our little detour to the centre was truly a pleasant and inspiring experience.

No comments: