Wednesday, September 10, 2008

“See you tomorrow!”


Here is another photo that I am considering entering for Asian Geographic’s “Asia Without Borders” photography competition.

This photo was taken early one morning in Phobjikha, Bhutan. I was enjoying a stroll and crisp morning air when I saw little children in red rubber boots walking to their primary school. Where I come from, the kids are driven to school or accompanied by their maids. But these Bhutanese boys and girls are an independent lot. I asked them if I could take their photo and they happily said “yes!”. They would also get very excited when I played back the photos on my LCD screen. Although I am more than three decades their senior, being with them made me feel young again. Their innocence and playfulness are infectious!

As the school bell rang, the kids ran to assemble in the school field, but not before waving to me and shouting in unison – “see you tomorrow!” I was moved. And to this day, I have not forgotten their warmth and friendliness.

No comments: