Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Happy Go Lucky?


A trip to Cambodia last October was a life changing experience for me. It was my first time in Phnom Penh and never in my life had I encountered so many destitute children begging in the streets. “Please mister, give me money, please!” they would plead with sad puppy dog eyes. While I really wanted to help them, I knew that if I gave them money, it would encourage them to beg even more. And who knows where their hard begged money went?

Prompted by what I saw, I started a project littlematchkids.org to raise awareness about their plight, but sadly that didn’t take off. Despite numerous emails to friends about the project, the response was pathetic – as bad as the plight of the Cambodian street kids. Maybe I’m not trying hard enough? While I am discouraged by the underwhelming response, I have not given up my hopes and dreams for these children. Ironically, the kids may be poor and live in slums, but their smiles are aplenty (but for how long?) as this picture shows.

No comments: